If your windshield has been chipped or cracked, you are going to need to get it repaired as soon as possible. Not only is it dangerous to drive with a damaged windshield, but it can also lead to devastating effects in the event of a car accident. This is because your windshield is much more likely to shatter altogether if there is already a crack, which can lead to serious injuries to you and your passengers. However, before you are able to get repairs, you are probably still going to have to drive your vehicle. Here are five tips for dealing with the crack temporarily:
- Cover With Tape: The first thing you want to do is cover the crack with tape. It needs to be clear tape so that it does not interfere with your ability to see while driving. By doing this, you are helping to prevent the crack from spreading, which is important for safety and to ensure that your repairs are more affordable since smaller cracks are easier to fix. This also reduces the chance of dirt getting trapped in the crack, which is one way the crack can start to spread more rapidly since dirt is abrasive.
- Be Mindful of Temperature Changes: The crack is going to expand and contract in extreme temperature changes, which can cause more damage. This is why you need to avoid using the air conditioning when driving with a cracked windshield. You should also be parking in the shade to keep the windshield out of the direct sunlight.
- Don't Wash Your Car: While dealing with a windshield crack, you should not be washing your car, especially by going through a drive-thru car wash. This is because the pressure from the water on your car can cause the windshield to shatter or the crack to expand.
- Drive Cautiously: Although you should be avoiding potholes anyway, be extra mindful of them at this time. Driving through a pothole, over a curb, or even slamming your car doors can lead to the crack to expanding.
- Take the Car to a Professional: Once you have found windshield repair in the area and can take the time off work or other activities to get your windshield repaired, it's important that you are going to true professionals. This is because windshield repair is a delicate process and you want to be sure that it is done right. In the end, it should appear as if there was never a crack in the windshield whatsoever.
When you follow these five tips, you can be sure that you are able to continue driving your vehicle safely if you are unable to take the vehicle in as soon as the crack has formed on your windshield. For more windshield care tips, contact a company like Econo Glass Company.